It could be midlife-crisis that has never been overcome or just the reaction of a former political pop-star who’s missing the stage: colonel Gaddafi once again slipped into one of his most wanted roles, the Enfant terrible of the world stage.
After all he still manages that the press writes about him and sometimes an interesting discussion unfolds. Sometimes he is described as the head of a terrible family and sometimes as “crazy dog of the Near East“.
Why does he still get so much attention? Because he polarizes like no other? Gaddafi, meanwhile 68 years old, is anything but a dark horse. It is a fact that Gaddafi is one of the few Head of State who have been ruling for more than 40 years. And beyond that a lot of things happened in his eventful life. Here comes a chronic of his most important stations:
- 1942: Gaddafi is given birth in Sirte Lybia.
- He follows king Idris in 1969 afer a military coup against the former ruler and keeps the power until today.
- In 1976 he publishes his “green book” an act on “Islamic Socialism”
- In 1980 he chants the victory of revolution./a>
- In 1986 the magazine Spiegel is afraid that Gaddafi “blows everybody up. “
- In 1988 a plane of American Pan-Am crashes over Scottish Lockerbie. The crash turns out to be a terroristic attack which is charged to the lybian regime.
- In 1995 he throughs the Palestinians out of his country that were supported before by weapons and money in order to concede later (2009) the right for atom bombs to them. In the meantime(2002) he thinks of a so called Isratin.
- In 2004 the “crazy dog” is reestablished by the EU.
- In 2008 he once agains pushes into the limelight and starts a diplomatic fight with Switzerland.
So what is Gaddafi then? An Enfant terrible, a mad dog or just an aged Head of State?